Saturday 19 November 2011

Day 20!!!

Hello there...

I am back! Apologies to those eager followers of mine who missed my blog yesterday! I am sure you didn't know what to do with yourselves when you saw that there was nothing to read. Haha...Ok, maybe not, i am not quite at columnist importance but maybe one day hey. The truth be known i went out for dinner last night with the other volunteers, all except Swedish girl who was too tired. It was a Portuguese restaurant about a 10 minute drive away, it felt odd to be doing something so urban on a work night but that is what we did. I kept forgetting it was a Friday and was concerned at how many people in the bar were getting drunk and enjoying the live music which consisted of a one woman band and her equipment. She was ok. A couple of dodgy starts. When i realised it was the weekend i stopped worrying about how sore heads were going to be in the morning and just laughed at them instead. I myself was on Sprite as I had to take the day off from the farm on Thursday! Alas, you may remember me mentioning having a super spicy dinner in the hope of a burst of energy in my last blog??? However, the effect was not in fact what i had anticpated and actually spent the night and following day dashing to the lavatory! This would not have gone down well if i had of gone to the farm as toilets are few and far between! Led in bed with stomach cramps and cold sweats, i decided i had made the right choice! Next time i choose my spices i shall be more thoughtful to myself. I would like to say that it tasted MARVELLOUS at the time! :) Yum!

So that was my Thursday, not very interesting i am afraid. And then yesterday i went off to the Lion Park with Cat one of the volunteers to skin some meat. Unfortunately for us, all of the meat donated to us this week (if donated is the right word as i dont know what would be done with it if we didnt take it!) has been cow. And this meant that we had to skin the whole lot, usually there has been some horse and maybe some kudu or something which doesnt need to be skinned as the skin is much softer for the lions, but no, it was all cow. I observed and experienced some rather fatty limbs which belonged to a black cow, i didnt have the pleasure of meeting him face to face...or seeing his face, but the leg, bladder area and mid section that i had the pleasure of working with was particularly fatty...the old beefer! I imagine that if he was a human he would have been a bit like Pavarotti! But maybe without the voice.  Bless them both.

In the afternoon half the volunteers went off to feed the lions and the other half which included myself did some weeding which was actually very fun despite the physical challenge due to a particularly jolly sing song between myself, Cat and Camille, I think we may have covered everything from 90s Rap to Disney to foreign Christmas songs. Excellent!

Today has been a cleaning day so i dont have too much to say really, although Swedish Girl announced she wasnt coming with us today as she hurt her foot on THURSDAY. Now, considering today is SATURDAY this confused us all somewhat. Especially as she seemed to be limping around the bedroom this morning which we havent noticed before! However, a bad foot is a bad foot afterall, and it makes perfect sense that because of her bad foot she had to stay in bed ALL day today so that she could recover from the damage. Although, she did manage to get up to put on a clothes wash...this consisted of washing just her bra in the washing machine...she has done this twice now. Again, this does confuse us all slightly...But, you may be happy to know that the limp has gone now, and we think she will survive. So thats a blessing.

We are having a Braai tonight and have invited some of the staff along, they arrived about 10 minutes ago so i really should go and join in the festivities and stop typing away...and poking fun out of people with bad feet. Shame on me. I have made my token salad and Arthur and Peter are in charge of meat tonight so hopefully people wont be having charcoal for dinner as my attempt last week turned out. Cat leaved tomorrow so its kind of a farewell too...

Ok my dears, take care and enjoy your Saturday evening. I plan on having a lovely lie in tomorrow and then i plan to tan my feet as i am currently sporting lovely tanned calves alongside white feet and ankles...Its not a good look for me.

To you, ADIEU! xxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Hi there another brilliant read and slow down on the spices.....they will send you too the LONG DROP:-) I'll bet all this cutting of meat has put you off for LIFE.

    At least you are having a great time with all sorts of adventures....looking forward to your next instalment...lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete