Saturday 12 November 2011

Day 13!!!

HOWZIT!

I cannot believe that today is the half way point for me out here! The time has just flown by! In two weeks time it will be my last day on the farm and two weeks tomorrow i shall be heading home! 2 weeks is still an excellent amount of time though, so its all good. And in just 2 weeks we have done so much it has been amazing.

Not too much has happened since i last blogged, its been quite a calm couple of days. Just myself and the 2 other volunteers so very quiet. Between you and me Swedish girl is on thin ice, she found a bug in her boot this morning and i thought the world was going to end! I just walked off and sat with Erika...well, next to her cage anyway. She was in a better mood and doesnt cause a scene when a bug wanders past...probably because she just eats them. No, I think its fair to say that Erika and I have become pretty close this past week, I know shes not the sweetest of lovebirds and has a past, but then, who doesnt!? I'm gonna miss that little pecker. I might even get her a little something from the pet shop before i leave, as a little keep sakes. I could get a miniature picture of myself and put it in a frame for her cage and then she could continue to talk to me....or i could just get her some seeds...OR BOTH! Hell, i could just get her both...

But enough of that! On Monday 5 new volunteers arrive! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy! I cant wait! The house will be full, new faces, new conversation and hopefully new opportunities to have a good giggle. Should be lekker! Im hoping we will start having a few more braais next week as its much nicer sitting outside and hearing the lions and animals making their funny noises. Last night we watched the notebook on dvd and i made such a tit out of myself. Swedish girls face had the same expression as it usually does at the end of the film, i think I saw Cat wipe a tear away from her cheek...and I, yes I was blubbering away like some emotionally insecure blubberbutt! I think i even squeaked at one point as i tried to cover up that i was crying so much. And then of course when i could breath any more from trying to remain quiet i sniffed and the game was given away, a big fat snotty sniff, they looked at me and could immediatly see the streams of running tears on my face...Ah well...I made some comment about men crying always getting to me and went to bed.

Today is Saturday and we have spent the morning cleaning which will continue after lunch, its quite nice actually because it means the hose is constantly ago and if i get hot i just spray myself, although i did accidentally underestimate the pressure of the hose earlier and splashed myself a bit too hard in the face! So far today we have cleaned the enclosure houses, the fridge which was vile, we had to move all the body parts out, clean it and then move them all back in again. There were these funny black slug things trying to attack my feet so i just shot them with the power hose amid evil laughter! Mwahahahahaha...we have also cleaned the bins and soon we shall do the toilets and the vehicles, and when i get a chance i am going to go and have a play with the cubs because they are just soooooo cute!

I was offered a chance to go in with Luke and Nyeba the Hyenas today but declined quite swiftly as am still sporting two very large purple/greenish lumpy bruises on my calf and am not sure that i am in the mood for any more this week.

I saw a rather long snake yesterday slithering across the road, it was long and thin, silvery/green in colour, i must look it up when i get back to the cottage. I also saw a...errr...errm...Oh i've forgotten what its called...NO I HAVEN'T! I saw a Water Manoty (I've spelt that completely wrong) this morning, which basically looks like a little dragon but is in fact like a small alligator. It has small teeth and it was at the end of the bridge as i was crossing it, poor thing looked like it needed a hip replacement to me, but i think that sjust how they walk. It saw me and headed off in the opposite direction and hid in a bush, but not very well because i could still see it. But i left it alone as it was quite big and they're quite strong i think.

We went back in the cage yesterday but this time with Vyatze a male lion and Livia and Virginia who are sisters. Virginia likes to swim which was cute to see. I did almost wet myself however when a piece of meat accidentally landed on top of the cage and Livia managed to hoist herself on top as well...seeing as the roof of the cage is just a wire panel, my heart did go into overdrive and i thought, if that roof caves in, i have no choice but to use Swedish Girl as a shield...luckily it didn't come to that and Livia got down and we were all fine!

Tomorrow is my day off and Cat and I are going on a walk with some elephants! :) we are getting picked up at 09.15 and are being taken to Glen Afric which is a large hotel near by, and there we will meet 3 elephants, 2 babies and a mother and will go for a walk in the bush! I cannot wait! I saw them briefly last week and they were beautiful. We will be taken them to the river for a swim as well....I must try not to get over excited or else i could dive in with them and get squashed! But it is going to be LUSH! I will upload some pictures onto facebook afterwards also, for some reason i have had difficulty getting pictures onto the blog! So sorry about that. Ill try and get Erika in a good mood and get a picture of her for you, shes a one i tell you!

I am going to Braai tonight, I hope it goes ok, usually Tristan is in charge off the cooking of meat on the Braai whilst i stand close by preparing a pretty salad or cutting some bread so it will be an experience. But how hard can it be? Heat some coals, chuck it on, wait a few minutes, flip it, wait a few more minutes, flip it again! BOOM meat is ready! Bobs yer uncle! Easy peasy lemon squeezey!

Ok, im gonna go now. I hope you have enjoyed this weeks antics and i shall be back again next week with some new stories of elephants and hopefully a successful braai dinner.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Holz xxx

2 comments:

  1. hey holly :) Your blog is giving me stomach cramps!!hysterical!!!!!! your very talented and you should seriously consider writing a book!!!!!!! :) :) :) keep on with the awsomness ok!!! bye
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Nikki, I am so glad that you are enjoying it! Please continue to read, every day is so different here, i feel very lucky to be having this experience. Hope you are well. x

    ReplyDelete