Monday 14 November 2011

Day 15!!!!

Day 15!!!

Bonjour Ma Petite Fleurs!

I hope all is well wherever you may be. I am very good myself, I am currently sat outside at the cottage on Monday evening, it is almost 6.30pm and there is a lovely evening feel here, al the tress in silhouette. The crickets are making a constant hazy background noise and the birds are getting ready for bed. There is a Lourie bird up in the tree in front of me who is doing the end of day checks and every now and then a lion will roar. I am very peaceful, wishing Trist was here with me right now…

So, I last wrote to you on Saturday and told you that I was planning a trip back to Glen Afric to walk with the Elephants. Some of you may have seen some pictures on face book, apologies for not being able to get them onto the blog but most of you have access to the wonderful world of face book so if you haven’t already, check them out.

The Elephant walk was incredible, I think it was always going to be, obviously as elephants are amazing and very cute to watch, however to get as close as we did I couldn’t believe it! We were right up with the mother and two babies, giving them cuddles and tickling their ears! They did have wind! Haha, which was hilarious, those huge chubby bottoms making the funniest noises and they seem to have constant smiles on their faces so it was very sweet…despite how smelly it was! J We walked through the bush to start with and they stopped as much as they could to have a munch in the trees, and then we headed off to a large pond which had hippos in it. The elephants absolutely loved it! Especially the babies, they would have rolled around all day if they could and if the smiles weren’t big enough on their faces before the certainly were by now! When it was time to leave I think they got out and got back in the water again about 3 times because they just didn’t want to leave. Mummy elephant too loved the water but was a bit more mature about it! Haha, The Hippos kept bobbing up and having a look but were too relaxed to come any closer.

On our way back to the restaurant we were so lucky to have 2 warthogs walk in front of us, and I absolutely LOVE warthogs, they are so cute! I know I say that a lot but they are! So so sweet, they are really funny because they stop and look at you for about 10 seconds as if to say ‘Erm…excuse me, would you mind tell me what on earths name you are doing here??? Do you have a reservation!???’ and then they run off! Hashanah.

Lunch started well, very nice food, its an all you can eat buffet at the hotel which is a nice treat at the end of a busy week at the farm, however, I was half way through my creamed spinach when a strom came from nowhere, napkins, glasses, small children were being blown all over the place and the sky roared louder than the lions. Being British I stayed put for as long as I could but it was when my plate itself started to move across the table that I thought I should probably head inside. The storms down here are amazing, wonderful to see. We had to wait for it to pass to get a lift back down to the bridge so we didn’t get back until around about 3pm, which is when I had a nice nap!

Today has been fairly relaxed, we fed the cubs and then had to go and look for an a nyala which had managed to escape the farm somehow, it took us an hour and we had to walk through the think bish again which was a bit harsh on the old legs as there are a lot of twigs and plants which scratch. I was doing my funny walk again as the grass was long and I couldn’t see if there were any snakes underneath, and today wasn’t a day that I wanted to get bitten by a snake.

Once the Nyala was safe back within the farm walls, we left and went to do our weekly shop. I deliberately didn’t buy anything heavy today as didn’t want to carry it all back to the cottage like I did last week which in the afternoon sun was just hell. So that was good. Swedish Girl didn’t take on this theory and seemed to struggle somewhat…oh dear!

I bought Erika some treats today, she really liked them, I got her a new mirror and bell and some snacks, were really good friends now. Ive learnt a new birdy noise which goes ‘Tch Tch Tch Tch Tch…’ its cool.

The Braai went surprisingly well on Saturday night, I made a salad and some pasta and managed to cook  the meat which everybody said was really nice even if it was a bit overdone, actually, that’s a lie, Swedish Girl did in fact watch me the whole time and did tell me on multiple occasions that she liked her meat well done but not burnt….well, she bloody well got what she was given…so there! J

I am sat talking to the new volunteers now who are lovely, there are 4 people from Holland and 1 from France, I have moved bedrooms today as well as the house is now full we had to re shuffle, but I am not complaining as it means I don’t have to listen to a certain someone’s snoring anymore! I think you know who I mean! Hehe…

So, now I am going to go and talk to these lovely people some more, also from the time I started to write this to now it has gotten dark and even the Lourie is in bed so I cant really see the keys any more…dodhfo  idshlrh4poh ogas nsoadjfhoah e0ej nfooeh o hey09 3u lih fiehw r

GOOD NIGHT! XXXXX

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Holly - another fantastic BLOG and obviously had an incredible time with the elephants. Hope all the new helpers are cool.

    Enjoy and work hard - we love and missed you BUT you GO GIRL XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue, the new volunteers are lovely. We are having a lovely time together. Loads of love. xxx

    ReplyDelete